Pushing ourselves outside of our comfort zone can be a REALLY scary thing!!! We all want to feel successful. When we set a goal or take on something that is unfamiliar to us or we have never done before FEAR starts to creep in. Our minds create these stories that most/all of time are not even close to the truth!!!
Can you think of a time when you created the worst case scenario for an event or situation only to have it turn out great?!?!
I know that I can…
Our mindsets around a goal, an event, or a situation can/will dictate our experience. Having a positive mindset will change your outlook, experience, and results for just about anything. It’s when we let that pesky emotion fear create self-doubt that we ask the question, “can I really do this?”
The answer is YES YOU CAN!!!
To be honest, if a goal doesn’t excite me and scare me (just a little) then I know it isn’t the right goal.
What if you put your fear, self-doubt, and negative mindset aside?
Think of all the things you could/would achieve that you haven’t been able to up until this point. When you push yourself outside your comfort zone, that is when growth as an individual truly happens.
What if you faced all the obstacles that you think are holding you back to achieve something you never thought you could?
We are the ones that hold ourselves back most of the time. It is the fear, self-doubt, and limiting beliefs we carry around and tell ourselves multiple times per day that keeps us from doing the things that will get us the results in life that we desire.
What if instead of believing all of the things that you tell yourself that are holding you back, you instead acknowledge them and then let them go?
One thing that would happen is you would spend A LOT more time on the behaviors and thoughts that will move you closer to your desired result instead of being stuck in your own head!!!
Push Your Limits
I absolutely love this quote by Thomas Jefferson,
“If you want something you have never had, you must do something you have never done.”
When you read this, what emotions come up for you?
For me, fear and excitement come to mind. Being fearful of the unknown can limit our belief about what we are truly capable of. Fear of change may also be a limiting belief that is holding you back. We are creatures of habit and often don’t embrace change and how it can make us better or help us achieve a goal.
Ask yourself, “What is it that I want to achieve that I haven’t yet been able to?”
Now that you know what it is that you want to achieve, you can decide how you are going to go about doing it. Don’t just decide though, visualize yourself achieving the goal and experience the feelings you will have when you achieve the goal. It’s not just enough to decide what it is that you want, believe that you can achieve it and see yourself doing so!
As the quote states, “you must do something you have never done.” More than likely it will be more than one thing that you need to implement in order to be successful.
I am going to relate this to achieving a health, fitness, or physique goal that you are striving for.
- First come up with a list of behaviors/actions that you are already doing that is moving you closer to that goal.
- Once you have that, list one to three behaviors that you can STOP doing that are moving you further away from that goal.
- Now decide how you can do a little bit more, or do a little bit better. For example, if you are getting in 6,000 steps per day, modify your schedule so that you can get in 8,000 steps per day. A little bit more, a little bit better.
- The last step is to pick one to three things that are outside your comfort zone. They may scare you just a little, BUT they will make the biggest difference in achieving your goal and seeing the results you want.
- Examples could include: hiring a personal trainer or working out in a semi-private training program, making the decision to cook all your meals at home instead of eating out, giving up alcohol, gluten, and/or sugar, facing emotions you have choose to not deal with, or getting to bed 30 minutes earlier and letting the “to-do” list wait until tomorrow.
Now, this may be scary for you, but it’s a good exercise to stretch your comfort zone…
Are you interested in taking the next step? Click on this link to learn more about it with NO risk!
Dedicated to Your Health and Fitness Success,
Scott Newton, MS, CPT
Founder, Evolve Personalized Fitness
Office: (949) 661-1213
P.S. Whenever you’re ready, here are a few ways we can help…
1. Train With Us One on One ONLINE. TRY US OUT WITH UNLIMITED PERSONAL TRAINING FOR ONE WEEK FOR $99! OFFER ENDS 5/1/20For the optimal program to help you reach your goals we will set you up for success with our movement assessments, fitness coaching sessions and a personalized training plan focusing on accountability, nutrition, flexibility, strength, balance, posture, muscular and cardiovascular endurance, as well as flexible scheduling to accommodate anyone’s busy calendar. Reply with ‘1 on 1’ in the subject line and I’ll get you all the details.
2. Train With US Four on One ONLINE. TRY US OUT FREE FOR TWO WEEKS WITH UNLIMITED SESSIONS! OFFER ENDS 5/9/20 We are not a boot camp. We personalize our group training by averaging a 4:1 ratio of clients per trainer. Our semi-private training follows our training program designed to get you results while enjoying the camaraderie of a group. This affordable option will give you the service you need while getting the results you want and is designed to accommodate just about anyone’s budget. Reply with ‘4 on 1’ in the subject line and I’ll get you all the details.
3. Get One Week of Unlimited ONLINE Private Fitness Coaching Sessions FREE! OFFER ENDS 5/1/2020Success with anything takes planning. Most of the time it won’t happen without a great mentor, teacher, or coach. Meet with me for private online Zoom calls to set your program up for success. You can also join our private Facebook group so we can coach you toward reaching your health and fitness goals. Reply with ‘Accountability’ in the subject line and I’ll follow up on how you can get started.
* offers valid for new clients or clients that have not trained in 3 months or longer
PLUS, check these out…